Looking for a different experience after sailing the US and British Virgin Islands? Then the Spanish Virgin Islands is a wonderful alternative. There are many things to do along with sailing, snorkeling, and diving in an area where the sea plant life is in abundance with multi-colored sea fans, sea rods and all kinds of coral along with all the different colorful fish, stingrays & sea turtles.
Additionally, there is horseback riding through the mountains and beach, along with a kayak ride through the unique Bioluminescence Bay, hikes to the waterfalls in the rainforest, kayaking through the caves, historical site tours and canopy repelling in the treetops. Just to mention a few things!!
Here is a sample itinerary from Solitude one of the crewed catamarans specializing in the Spanish Virgin Islands:
- Fly into St. Thomas-board Solitude making yourself at home-enjoy a cool cocktail & beautifully exquisite dinner
- Enjoy a beautiful snorkel off St. John or some fun water sports & Honeymoon Beach off Water Island (1-2 days)
- Sail to Culebra-rest, enjoy a pristine snorkel off Tamarindo or Luis Pena & visit the famous Flamenco Beach (1-2 days)
- Sail to Vieques-snorkel, more water sports (rent-a-jet ski, if you wish), enjoy the nightlife along the beach boardwalk, go on a historical tour, take a horseback ride through the mountains & beach, in the evening kayak through the Bio Bay & swim with diamonds sparkling over your body (2-3 days)
- Sail to Puerto Rico-island hop the beautiful outer islands like Isla de Palominos, enjoy a hike in the rainforest splashing in the waterfalls, kayak the caves, take a historical tour, gamble or dance into the nightlife, embark on a treetop canopy tour or voyage on an ATV tour (1+days, you may choose to stay in a hotel for a few days to accomplish as many adventures as possible)
- Bon voyage to Solitude-Fly out of San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Caribbean Lady is another crewed yacht specializing in the Spanish Virgins. Its crew Tom and Anne along with “Moe” their beautiful dog actually live on Vieques – hence you will enjoy the area from a local guide. Here is their take on the area
“We feel our niche is in the Spanish Virgin Islands with clients flying in and out of San Juan, Puerto Rico. Pricing includes ground transportation from and to the San Juan International Airport.”
Sincerely, Tom and Ann Mones
S/V Caribbean Lady 3 – the legend lives on
An Itinerary from Caribbean Lady:
- · Pick Up at San Juan International transport to Puerto Del Rey
- · Sail to Los Palominos then sail to Punto Arenas/Culebra
- · Overnight at Culebra Ensenada Dakity
- · Day 2 Rendezvous Dive or Snorkel Luis Pena Day /afternoon trip to Dewey/
- · Overnight Ensenada Honda
- · Day Three Rendezvous Dive or Snorkel Isla Culebrita Overnight Ensenada Dakity
- · Day Four Vieques Sail to Vieques Bahia Salinas Lunch sail to Esperanza
- · Day Five & Six Vieques trips Bio-Bay Trail rides
- · Day Six sail to Punta Arenas Overnight
- · Day Seven Return to Puerto Del Rey
- · Weather and seas permitting
So for your next sailing vacation, I would suggest enjoying the Spanish Virgin Islands.