Jost Van Dyke
Jost Van Dyke could be the tropical island of your dreams. This lush coral-sand island lies 3 miles to the northwest of Tortola. Largely unspoiled, Jost Van Dyke is a popular destination for sailors, beach lovers, and sun-seekers from around the world. Home of the world famous Foxy’s and Foxy’s Wooden Boat Regatta. It is a Must to visit on your yacht charter vacation in the British Virgin Islands. Enjoy a Pain-Killer at the Soggy Dollar Bar at White Bay then be entertained at Foxy’s into the early hours of the morning.
White Bay is said to be one of the best beaches in the Virgin Islands. This pristine white beach that invokes images of Gilligan’s Island. White Bay’s swimming-pool calm waters are perfect for swimming or for simply floating on a mat. There is good snorkeling at White Bay while the best reefs are at Diamond Cay and the surrounding out-islands of Sandy Cay, Sandy Spit, Green Cay and Little Jost Van Dyke.
The best and closest dive sites are at the Playground, between Green Cay and Little Jost, and Twin Towers, north of Little Jost. The Playground is a pretty place to explore, while the Twin Towers is an unusual area consisting of two large monolithic rock formations rising from 90 feet. The Twin Towers site is recommended for advanced divers.
Although there are no large shops on the island, there are many quaint boutiques to browse around when you’ve had enough sun and sand. Besides the shops listed here, many of the local restaurants and bars sell gifts and souvenirs.
- In Great Harbour you’ll find jewelry, crafts and gifts at Wendell’s World (284)-495-9969.
- Jost Van Dyke Scuba 284-495-0271 is the place to find dive and snorkel gear as well as books and gifts.
- The Ice House on Backstreet offers handmade Christmas ornaments, used paperbacks, and locally made jams, jellies, and salad dressings.
- The Fox Hole at Foxy’s Tamarind Bar 294-495-9258 has all the Foxy’s-inspired items you need along with Foxy’s fire water rum.
- Corsairs in Great Harbour is open for breakfast lunch and dinner. Corsairs cooks up Northern Italian cuisine, plus TexMex with a Caribbean twist and Monster Lobsters. If you’re feeling brave, try one of the specialty drinks such as “Wench Juice” or “Voodoo Juice”. Contact www.corsairsbvi.com (284) 495-9294.
- Soggy Dollar Bar and White Bay Sandcastle Restaurant in White Bay. Known by sailors around the world, the Soggy Dollar Bar is a must-see while on Jost Van Dyke. A great place to people-watch. Contact (284) 495-9888
- Ivan’s Stress Free Bar and Restaurant in White Bay is a local iconic restaurant sure to refresh your mind and spirit. Owner Ivan Chinnery welcomes guests with a smile. Contact (284) 495-9312 or (284) 495-3489
- One Love Bar and Grill in White Bay is one of Jost Van Dyke’s must-visit bars and restaurants. The One Love Bar is perfect for relaxing and enjoying a cool drink and listening to some live reggae music. This is definitely a “no shoes, no shirt, no problem” kind of place! Contact www.onelovebar.com (284) 495-9829
- Jewel’s Snack Shop is located in White Bay. The burgers, hot dogs and rum punch have been given very high ratings by recent visitors. In fact, this little jewel has been rated number 5 in the top restaurants on the island.Contact Info: 284-495-9268
- Foxy’s in Great Harbour. A BVI tradition with a laid-back attitude, good food and plentiful drinks. Reservations requested. Contact www.foxysbar.com (284) 495-9258
- Foxy’s Taboo in Little Jost Van Dyke/Diamond Cay Opened in 2003, Foxy’s Taboo serves up fabulous burgers with friendly “island-time” service.
- Ali Baba’s in Great Harbour were you will enjoy lobster and grilled local fish, as well as delicious drinks such as Bushwackers and Ali Baba’s own rum punch. Breakfast, lunch and dinner.Contact (284) 495-9280
- Abe’s By the Sea in Little Harbour. Delicious seafood, conch, lobster, and other fresh catches. Chicken, ribs, and a Wednesday night pig roast (in season) round out the menu, and affable owners Abe Coakley and his wife, Eunicy, add a pinch and dash of hospitality that makes a meal into a memorable evening. Casual lunches are also served, and an adjoining market sells ice, canned goods, and other necessities. Dinner reservations are required by 5 pm. Contact (284) 495-9329
- Sydney’s Peace and Love in Little Harbour Great local lobster and fish, barbecue chicken and ribs with all the fixings, including peas and rice, corn, coleslaw, and potato salad. All are served on an open-air terrace or in an air-conditioned dining room at the water’s edge. Contact (284) 494-9271
Anchorages – Yacht Charters
- Diamond Cay – 10 available moorings. Pay on shore at Foxy’s Taboo.
- Great Harbour – Foxy’s
- Little Harbour – White Bay
WANT MORE? GO TO…TOP 7 THINGS TO DO ON JOST VAN DYKE